If you use Excel a lot and need to copy data from one worksheet to another, and not mess up the formatting on either worksheet, this shortcut for Paste Special - Values will be worth your time!
While working on a spreadsheet one day, I thought to myself "there's got to be a better way to do the Paste Special - Values operation." So I did an internet search and found the following tutorial....
It will walk you through two ways that you can shorten the time it takes you to do a Paste Special - Values, such as:
1) Add the Paste Special - Values command to your toolbar.
- The advantage with this one is that the shortcut will be in your toolbar any time you use Excel, no matter the spreadsheet.
- The disadvantage is that you have to use the mouse to click on the shortcut in the toolbar.
2) Create a Macro and assign a shortcut key (like Ctrl + G).
- The advantage with this method is that if you use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + c" to copy data, Ctrl + g is easier than moving the mouse up to the toolbar and selecting the shortcut.
- The disadvantage is that you would need to move the macro to each spreadsheet that you want to use it in.
I know that this must be the most exciting thing you've learned all week, cause it was for me! Add a post to this entry if you need more of an explanation as to how to do it.