Wednesday, July 28, 2010

All in a Day's Work

So I've been putting off a lot of things on my "Household To Do List" for a while now, and finally had to get to them this past weekend.  At first I wasn't looking forward to doing them because it meant I had to put off more fun things that one can do on a Saturday, but when I had finally finished, I didn't want to stop!  I wanted to just keep going as all these new things came to mind that needed to be done.  There's something really satisfying for me in doing home improvements and creating things with my hands.  When all was said and done, here is what Alicia and I accomplished on Saturday:

1) Levi and I went for an early morning run (Levi got it easy by riding in the jogging stroller)

2) We cleaned out basement bedroom that has been used for storage and as an excercise room to get it ready for a guest to stay in.

3) After cleaning out the room, discovered that the basement window in the room lets in all kinds of nasty bugs (spiders, earwigs, etc., sick!) through open gaps in the frame, so we sprayed them all with bug killer, sucked them up into the vacuum and decided to seal the gaps in the window with caulking.

4)  To prevent any more bug problems, we then sprayed a bug repellant around the base of the foundation of the duplex (both units) outside and inside in the basement.

5) Once the bug problem was taken care of, we decided the window needed a curtain covering, so we picked up a valance and a rod and installed.

6)  The room was starting to look nice, but then we noticed the carpet was disgusting with all kinds of stains and marks, so we rented a carpet cleaner from the grocery store and after like 10 trips up and down the stairs to fill up and empty the cleaning solution (all done by Alicia while I was "suppposed" to be watching Levi and cleaning up upstairs) it turned out really nice!

7) We put the finishing touches on the room (set up and made bed, hung a picture, put in furniture) and it went from a nasty bug infested storage room to a decent guest room....who knew!















8) We recently got new windows to update the ones we had previously that were from the 70's which was a nice upgrade, but they still let the sun beat down on everything in our house which made it a million time hotter than it already would be with 95 -100 degree days, so Dustin helped us put up blinds in all the windows (6 total) and it's sooooo much nicer!  Now we don't feel like we're living in a fish bowl!


8) As if all of that wasn't enough, I got some self-tapping screws and finally put our front license plate on the front of the Maxima.  We got tired of getting tickets or getting pulled over (I think at least 6 tickets and 2 or 3 times pulled over) for not having a front plate, so it felt good to have that done.

I'm sure there was more that we did...just can't remember cause I'm too tired from it still! Haha.  But like I said, every time I see that license plate, the blinds, or the nice new guest room (without bugs) it gives me a sense of pride and satisfaction at what we were able to accomplish.

1 comment:

  1. Nice guys! We'll put pictures on of our new stained deck. It was hard work all day just about on a Saturday but looks so much better!

    ReplyDelete